Dr. Ioanna Mandala is a Chemical Engineer (National Technical University of Athens) and she has a Ph.D. in Food Engineering (Agricultural University of Athens-AUA). Ph.D. Thesis: Texture & microstructure of products that contain starch. Improvement of their quality by gums’ addition (xanthan) (1997-2002)
During her studies she has worked with the research team of Prof. B. Launay and C. Michon of the Dépt. Science de l'Aliment, Laboratoire de Biophysique des Matériaux Alimentaires inENSIA (Εcole Nationale Supérieure des Industries Agricoles et Alimentaires) in a frame of a fellowship given by the Embassy of France and Erasmus free-movers (I.K.Y. foundation, Greece, 2000). She has also worked in a research group in BfEL (Bundesforschungsanstalt für Ernährung und Lebensmittel, 1994) in Karlsruhe (Prof. A. Kostaropoulos and W. E.L. Spiess), Germany. She was trainee researcher on dried fruits preservation methods and on sensory analysis methods.
From 2006 she is working as lecturer in Physical Properties of Foods in the Laboratory of Engineering of Foods of the Dept. of Food Science & Technology in AUA. From March to June of 2010 she worked as visiting scholar in the Department of Food Science, Rutgers University (New Jersey, USA, Dr. Q. Huang lab). Her research there was focused on bio-polymers interactions and their impact on O/W nanoemulsions stabilization.
Special areas of interest include:
- Rheology and microstructure of polysaccharides. Special focus on starch/xanthan interactions. Bio-polymers impact on the production & stability of sub-micrometer emulsions
- Physical properties of new products with functional properties, which could be bakery (bread and gluten-free breads) and confectionary (biscuits) products or mixes for sauces/dressings. Impact of functional ingredients (mainly polysaccharides) on the final quality of products, in which are added.
- Influence of storage conditions on the quality of the above products. Focus on storage conditions of bakery products (staling phenomena). Investigation also of storage stability. DSC studies. Destabilization phenomena (phase separation) of model-sauces products.
- Influence of pre-treatment or processing on physical properties of the above products and of dried fruits like raisins.
- Food preservation & physical properties. Core technologies for preventing foods with emphasis in MW and freezing technology.
- Schoenlechner R., Mandala* I., Kiskini A., Kostaropoulos A., Berghofer E., 2010, Effect of composition variables on amaranth containing gluten-free bread quality, International Journal of Food Science & Technology 45, 661-669
- Evageliou V., Τseliou G., Mandala I., Komaitis M., 2010, Effect of inulin on texture and clarity of gellan gels, Journal of Food Engineering, 101, 381-385
- Polaki A., Xasapis P., Fasseas C., Yanniotis S., Mandala* I., 2010, Fiber and hydrocolloid content affect the microstructural and sensory characteristics of fresh and frozen stored bread. Journal of Food Engineering 97, 1-7
- Mandala* I.G., Anagnostaras E.F., Oikonomou C.K., 2005, Influence of osmotic dehydration conditions on apple air-drying kinetics and their quality characteristics. Journal of Food Engineering 69, 307-316
- Mandala* I.G., Savvas T.P., Kostaropoulos A.E., 2004, Xanthan and locust bean gum influence on the rheology and structure of a white model-sauce. Journal of Food Engineering 64(3), 335-342
- Mandala I., Michon*, C., Launay B., 2004, Phase and rheological behaviors of xanthan/amylose and xanthan/starch mixed systems. Carbohydrate Polymers 58(3), 285-292
- Mandala* I.G., Palogou E.D., Kostaropoulos A.E, 2002, Influence of preparation and storage conditions on texture of xanthan-starch mixtures. Journal of Food Engineering 53, 27-38
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS in INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS (full proceedings* * or abstracts*)
- Panaras G., Moatsou G., Mandala* I., 2009, Effect of whey protein concentrates type and xanthan gum on the rheological properties and emulsion stability of the final mixtures (Food and Stabilizers for the Food Industry 15, P.A. Williams& G.O. Philips (Eds.), pp. 230-238, RSC Publishing**
- Yanniotis S., Kiskini A., Kapsokefalou M., Mandala* I., 2008, Ιron-fortified gluten and gluten-free bakery products. The role of iron compound used on their quality characteristics. ICEF10-CHILE (oral presentation)*
- Sevastopoulos P., Kiskini A., Mandala* I., 2008, Cookies physical attributes with reduced sugar content and soluble fibers addition In: Trends in Cereal Science and Technology: Industrial Applications, 4-5/2/2008, Work shop (poster presentation) *
- Mandala* I., Polaki A., Yanniotis S., Saravacos G., 2007, Fiber-enriched bread’s characteristics- Effect of fiber source on bread’s frozen storage stability, IFT 2007, 28/7-1/8/2007, McCormick Place South Chicago, USA (poster presentation) *
- Mandala* I., Kapetanakou A., Karabela D., Kostaropoulos A., 2006, Quality characteristics of low temperature stored breads containing hydrocolloids-Εffect of freezing and cold storage, Proceedings of the 4rd International Symposium on Food Rheology and Structure, Zuerich, Switzerland (oral presentation) **
- Mandala* I.G., Savvas T.P. and Kostaropoulos A.E., 2004, Effect of xanthan on a white model-sauce rheology and structure, Νinth International Congress on Engineering and Food ICEF9, Montpellier, France (poster presentation) *
- Mandala* I.G., Karydas D.P. and Kostaropoulos A.E., 2001, Improvement of sugar/gelatin gels by starch/xanthan addition. In: Effects of processing on the nutritional quality of food 6th Karlsruhe Nutrition Symposium BFE (p. 1.21) (poster) *
- Mandala* I.G., Palogou E.D. and Kostaropoulos A.E., 2001, Influence of xanthan gum on rheological properties of starch gels. In J. Welti-Chanes, G.V. Barbosa-Canovas and J.M. Aguilera (eds.) Proceedings of the Eighth International Congress on Engineering and Food ICEF 8, Volume I (pp. 498-503), U.S.A.: Technomic Publishing Co., Inc. (oral presentation) **
- Kostaropoulos A.E., Mandala J. G., Reppa A. and Saravacos G.D., 1999, Influence of flour on the texture of bread. In Book of Abstracts IFT99 Annual Meeting, (Chicago), Paper77-3 (oral presentation) *
- Kostaropoulos A.E., Mandala I.G. and Saravacos G.D., 1997, Τexture measurement in predicting the quality of oranges. In Book of Abstracts IFT97 Annual Meeting (Orlando), Paper 64-5 (p. 184) (oral presentation) **